Grizzlies 33, Cheshunt 21 Match Report 151016

The Grizzlies welcomed Cheshunt to Woollams this week looking to continue their fine start to the season. Similar to the previous game against Finsbury Park the Grizzlies won the toss and decided to start with a slight but noticeable wind at their back knowing that points on the board was an absolute must.
Starting the game in lighting fashion the Grizzlies scored early thanks to some great build up play from the forwards and strong running from a formidable backline that allowed fly half Mick Foley to cross the white line, the conversion duly followed from Foley’s boot. The tone was set for the first half.
Cheshunt brought an experienced and strong forward line that needed to be treated with respect, the pack knew that if they could win the ball upfront the backs would take the game to them. So it turned out to be, the forwards battled hard for every inch getting great ball for the backs. James Sykes was unlucky not to score after bursting through the Cheshunt defence only to be thwarted by the fullback, unfortunately this was his last play of the match having to depart with a nasty looking ankle injury. With Tanyaradzwa Fernando joining attacks from full back it wasn’t long before the aforementioned showed a clean pair of heels to the Cheshunt wing to touch down under the posts, Foley with the conversion.
Straight after the restart there was confusion in the Cheshunt defence that allowed prop Ally Ruffett to take charge and drive 40 meters deep into enemy territory, unfortunately falling just short of the try line after being caught, however it set up yet another wave of Grizzlies pressure. Cheshunt couldn’t escape from their half and with two further tries and a conversion from Foley the Grizzlies took a 26-0 lead into the break. The Captain may have felt that a dozen points had been left out there such was the Grizzlies dominance.
Second half was different, Cheshunt came out fighting and after an even 10 minutes managed to bundle the ball over for their first score of the game. Pressure from the visitors grew but it was not as fluid as the play from the Grizzlies in the first half. The game slowed with some spoiling from the front five coupled with great tackling notably from Steve Sibley and Tom Tansey, Cheshunt couldn’t gain sustained momentum to find a way through.
However the visitors freshened up their tiring side and managed to go over a again, this time though the Grizzlies hit back straight away with a great run from centre Jonny Glencross that caught the Cheshunt defence cold, Fernando picked up the pieces and touched down under the posts, new boy Robin Bye added the extras. With Fernando, Jonny, Andy O’Brien and Darren Coley the Grizzlies always posed a threat on the counter. Towards the end the game became scrappy with plenty of scrums that saw the visitors take advantage for a another score, however it was too little too late. With the game petering out the Grizzlies controlled the ball in the Cheshunt half until the final whistle. Final Score grizzlies
As every week there were great performances all round and the teamwork was immense, up front the pack battled hard with the backs always looking a threat. There has to be one and this weeks man of the match goes to three try Mick Foley his decision making at fly half caused mayhem in the first half and saw the game home in the second. D**k of the Day has been given to Ally Ruffett for having the audacity as a prop to dash 45 meters only to fall short of the try line.
Another great win for the grizzlies against a determined Cheshunt side but they will have to lift their game for next week’s local derby, away against St Albans.
Ally Ruffett (Prop Forward)